1. Originally American Branch of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, the term came to be associated with the entire movement. Founded in the 1850s, the aim of the organisation was the establishment of an Irish Republic independent of British rule. They led a failed rebellion in Ireland in 1867, and were also known for carrying out raids on British interests in Canada.
2. The term has become associated with support for the Irish republican movement, in latter times with support for the provisional IRA in Northern Ireland.
3.Also used by ignorant Northern Ireland protestants/ Unionists (judging by other posts here with no idea of its origin) as derogatory term for Irish Catholics/ Nationalists.
1. The Fenian-led rebellion of 1867 was a tragic failure.
2. My Brother James is an out-and-out Fenian, he won't rest until the Brits leave Ireland for good
3. Fenian Bastards, who do they think they are, trying to get treated as equals to us northern prods (protestants)
Prices shown in USD.
Вкажіть вашу поштову скриньку щоб отримати наші безкоштовні сповіщення зі Словом Дня (Urban Word of the Day) кожного ранку!
Листи надсилатимуться з email@example.com. Ми ніколи не надсилатимемо вам спам.